Color-Changing Lemon Drop Cocktail
Impress your friends and family with this color-changing spin on a Lemon Drop Martini. This cocktail changes colors right before your eyes, almost like magic! We froze Purple Papayaberry tea concentrate into ice cubes. Because the tea contains a “magic” ingredient, butterfly pea flower, they react with acid such as lemon juice and to turn your drink from blue or purple to pink. As the tea ice cubes melt, they'll interact with the lemon juice in the lemon drop cocktail and slowly alter the color as they infuse the drink with extra fruity flavor.
Magic Lemon Drop Cocktail
A lemon drop is one of the most popular alcoholic drinks out there. It's made with vodka, triple sec, simple syrup and lemon juice. It's a sweet cocktail that is similar in taste to the lemon drop candy. Typically, it's served as a martini or in the form of a shot. But in honor of spooky season, we decided what better way to enjoy this classic cocktail than on the rocks, with homemade ice cubes using a Purple Papayaberry concentrate! Purple Papayaberry contains butterfly pea flower - which gives the tea a unique color that changes with the addition of lemon juice, which is perfect for this recipe.
The Secret Ingredient..
Butterfly pea flower gives this tea a unique color, which changes if you add a bit of lemon juice. This reaction is 100% natural. Its fruity flavor of papaya, apple pieces, orange, blueberries, strawberries and blackberry are a perfect pairing for lemonade, making a delicious and fun looking Arnold Palmer! But in honor of spooky season, we thought that the color changing reaction would be the perfect addition for a memorable cocktail for a Halloween party.
How to Make a Color-Changing Lemon Drop Cocktail
What You Need
Step 1: Make The Ice Cubes
- Servings: 8-10
- Yield: 8-10 large round ice cubes, or 1-2 trays
- 4 tbsp Purple Papayaberry tea
- 24 oz boiling (212 F) water
- Add 4 tbsp of loose-leaf Purple Papayaberry tea to your infuser basket or tea bag and place into your pitcher.
- Pour boiling water (212 F) over your infuser or tea bag until your drink pitcher is ½ way filled.
- Let your tea steep for 10-12 minutes, then remove the infuser basket or tea bag.
- Let cool until your tea reaches room temperature.
- Pour your tea concentrate into an ice cube tray.
- Place your ice cube tray into the freezer for a minimum of 4 hours.
Step 2: Make The Cocktail
- Servings: 1
- Yield: 1 glass
- 1 ½ oz vodka
- ¾ oz Cointreau
- ¾ oz lemon juice
- 1 oz simple syrup
- Garnish your glass by dipping the rim in lemon juice, then sugar (optional)
- Add your Purple Papayaberry ice cube(s) into your glass.
- Add normal ice cubes into a cocktail shaker, then add the remainder of the ingredients above.
- Shake all your ingredients, then strain over your ice.
- Serve and enjoy!
Make It A Mocktail!
While this recipe makes a great and impressive cocktail, you can easily make it into a mocktail for those who don't drink or who are underage. Instead of making a lemon drop, simply use lemonade! Because it still uses lemon, you'll still get that magical color changing reaction without having to worry about anyone feeling left out.