Matcha is tea that is ground up into a fine powder and consumed directly unlike regular tea which is steeped and then the leaves removed. But aside from being a great drink, new flavored matchas are available that have more uses than just beverages!
Make a tasty alternative to the typical cupcake using Matcha instead, with many different flavors to choose from.
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp matcha (we used vanilla matcha in this example)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 6 ounces unsalted butters, softened
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp matcha (we used vanilla)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pan with 18 cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, sift and mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk together milk and oil, add to dry ingredients, then beat for 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Add the matcha powder, vanilla extract, and eggs, and beat again for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into pans about 3/4 of the way.
- Bake 18-20 minutes, test with a knife when done.
- While cupcakes are cooling, make your buttercream frosting
- Using an electric mixer, mix the confectioner's sugar, adding 1/3rd of it at a time. Mix well between each addition.
- Add milk and matcha powder and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add frosting to cupcakes after after cakes are completely cooled.