Dr. Oz will periodically recommend certain tea types for specific health properties. Being a tea business, this often results in many new customers seeing us for the 1st time, many of whom are brand new tea drinkers. We'll go over some of the teas Dr. Oz has mentioned and go over some of our own recommendations.
Pu-Erh tea is traditionally known for being a great tea to drink for digestion, especially after a heavy meal. It also helps lower cholesterol which has been confirmed by several customers who drink a lot of it. Dr. Oz likes this tea for it's fat shrinking ability. Unlike all other teas, Pu-Erh is fermented - just like wine, cheese, and saurkraut.
Two antioxidant compounds: theabrownin and gallic acid activate enzymes in our body responsible for fat metabolism. These antioxidants shrink fat tissue and help the body keep fat off weeks after ingestion. The caffeine in pu-erh helps speed metabolism, making the body more efficient at digesting a meal.
Pu-Erh was never popular because by itself, it has an earthy, moss like character. In the past few years however there have been new flavored varieties which have become exremely popular. The flavors add some depth and complexity and highlight the earthy characteristics of Pu-Erh and make it very enjoyable to drink. Our recommendation for 1st timers is Scottish Caramel Toffee Pu-Erh.
Pu-Erh Tea Recommendations
- Chrysanthemum Tangerine Pu-Erh: Dark, earthy pu-erh with a pleasant citrus finish. May be steeped multiple times.
- Coconut Cacao Pu-Erh: Unique blend of earthy pu-erh & coconut. Cocoa nibs & coconut provides a smooth, round, robust, yet sweet flavor with a mild hazelnut finish.
- Scottish Caramel Toffee Pu-Erh: The earthiness of pu-erh fuses with caramel for a sweetly decadent finish.
- Strawberry Mango Pu-Erh: Earthy Pu-Erh with a sweet, fruit twist.
- Pu-Erh Bold Leaf #1 [organic]: Musty, earthy character sometimes described as old or elemental. Great for digestion! #1 Grade, organically produced.
- Vintage Pu-Erh (1992): Our finest grade pu-erh. Aged over 20 years to create an unparalleled smoothness and earthiness. This tea stands well to numerous infusions. If you want to try the best, this is it.
White tea tea is very high in anti-oxidants. Dr. Oz likes it for it's fat blockage ability, and the catechins included help burn calories. New tea drinkers might find standard whites 'weak'. If you are used to drinking only breakfast teas that are strong, it might take some time to develope the palette for White tea's subtle flavors. Flavored whites are another way to go, and the popular ones are Peach White and White Champagne Raspberry. A non-flavored recommendation is Monkey Picked White. Try samples first to decide which one you like the best.
A side note - white teas tend to be large and coarse, and not suited for small tea balls. We recommend basket style infusers instead.
White Tea Recommendations:
- Mango Pear: The natural friendship of “east meets west” with mango & pear.
- Acai White: High quality needle white tea with an intense tropical aroma.
- Peach White: Essence of fresh picked peaches infuses the senses in this blend of organic white peony and aromatic osmanthus blossoms.
- Monkey Picked White: The finest white tea buds collected from the highest mountain & tree tops in China.
- White Champagne Raspberry: Premium white tea infused with champagne and raspberries.
- King of Silver Needles: A wonderful tasting collection of white buds… a delicate white tea with a clean taste reminiscent of fresh apples.
Pu-Erh/White Tea Blends:
We have formulated special Dr. Oz inspired blends that combine the richness and smoothness of pu-erh with the delicate roundness of white tea, resulting in one of the best flavored blends we have created for iced teas and hot teas as well.
When combined, pu-erh and white tea work synergistically to enhance metabolism, reduce fat absorption, and burn existing fat reserves. Our Mango Berry Pear, Acai Tangerine, Lemon Ginger Cooler, and Pu-erh White Superior (organic) are the best options for weightloss benefits. We also offer two iced tea maker kits: a 66oz iced tea brewer, and a 34oz - 50oz hot/cold iced tea brewer with Dr. Oz inspired blends, great for staying slim and hydrated during the summer months.
Pu-Erh/White Tea Blend Recommendations:
- Mango Berry Pear: The rich smoothness of pu-erh is contrasted with delicate notes of white tea, and accentuated with flavors of strawberry, mango, and pear.
- Acai Tangerine: The health benefits of pu-erh and white tea are augmented by the acai, an antioxidant powerhouse. Flavors of tangerine and chrysanthemum accentuate fruity acai tones.
- Lemon Ginger Cooler: Crisp and refreshing, this tea goes well with any meal. Aids in digestion.
- Pu-Erh And White Superior (organic): The rich smoothness of a #1 grade organic bold leaf pu-erh is contrasted with delicate notes of a premium , mountain picked white tea.
- Iced Tea Maker Kit, Dr Oz Inspired Blend: Our pu-erh/white tea blends are included with a 66oz iced tea maker; perfect for making large batches of slimming, flavorful, iced tea
Dr. Oz lkes this herbal tea to reduce bloating and keeping you regular. Our equivalent blend is the Cleanse tea which accomplishes the same functions.
A relative of the blueberry, bilberry is similar in appearance. Bilberries are smaller and darker in color than blueberries. While the inner pulp of a blueberry is light green, the pulp of a bilberry is red or purple. Bilberries are rich in anthocyanins, which has a variety of health benefits, including cancer prevention, anti-aging, and anti-inflammatory properties.
According to a Japanese study, the antioxidants in bilberry may reduce blood glucose levels and increase insulin sensitivity. and thus reduce cravings.
Dr. Oz recommends bilberry tea to help stem dessert cravings before bedtime. We have formulated a new caffeine free tea with wild bilberry, chamomile and lavender. Our Bilberry Chamomile Bliss blend soothes and relaxes. The flavor is smooth and refreshing, making it an ideal bedtime tea, but also great throughout the day. Chamomile and lavender are desired for their relaxing properties, and have been found to reduce anxiety in clinical studies.
Our new bilberry matcha is made from a premium Japenese Gyokuro, and contains 7 times the antioxidants of orange juice.
To kill cravings, try Chocolate Cake Honeybush - it's like a dessert!